Friday, October 27, 2006

Five things every nurse should remember

As a disclaimer, I know I have several friends that are nurses and I'm told my sister was an amazing nurse. But after spending two full days and one night at a local hospital this week, I thought I'd share a few things all the other nurses should remember.

5. We can hear you partying at the nurses station at 3 in the morning.
4. Remember there's a white board in the room for you to write your name on. Just because the name of the nurse three shifts ago is on there, doesn't mean you can't erase it and put yours on it.
3. Close the door behind you. If a door's been shut all night long and you walk in to do something, the chances are VERY HIGH that the folks in the room may want the door closed even after you leave.
2. Don't promise what you can't deliver. If you know you're going to have to OK something by the doctor or you know you can't change a bandage, don't promise the patient you're going to do it.
1. Listen. If a patient tells you they are in pain or can't breathe, it might be a good idea to listen and take note and do something about it.

No comments: