Monday, November 06, 2006

Ted Haggard and perfection

I haven't followed the Ted Haggard story much, as you can probably tell by my lack of entries on the issue, as Reba Baskett asks, "How do we as a church respond?"
That is me in the fact that he is part of the body of Christ. Am I happy with that? No, I have a list of Evangelicals that I wish I could put in a boat and send out to an island never to be found. I think they give Christians a bad name, but every time I sin I am giving the body of Christ a bad name.
Why is sinning such a knock on Christ? I am starting to realize that it has everything to do with the way we, as Christian, have presented ourselves through the years. It is an us and them mentality. We are in the right and if you are not with us, you are wrong. We set this impossible standard for ourselves, one that we can not even keep.
How should the church respond to "high profile sinninng?"
Do we ignore it? Do we cast them out to the swine?
The words of a great friend still ring through my ear after he heard about a fight breaking out at a church softball game here in Waxahachie, "I could rant and rave about how they make the church look bad, but I'm the guy who got a speeding ticket driving the youth home from church camp."

No comments: