Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Walking alone

I’ve been reading lots of books lately. I’m not sure why, maybe its the loss of my t.v. satellite or just an odd desire to make up for all the books I didn’t read as a kid.
Over the past couple weeks I’ve finished, “Jesus CEO,” “This Present Darkness,” and “Prince Caspian.”
I’ve been intrigued by all of them, but I was struck this week by “Prince Caspian,” part of C.S. Lewis’ epic Chronicles of Narnia.
I’ve been trying to catch up on the books slowly this year before the “Lion, Witch and Wardrobe” comes to the big screen later this year.
As you may remember, the story is based on four children who find a secret passage to the secret world of Narnia.
They become high kings and queens of the land and are led by Aslan the Lion.
In this fourth book in the series, the children find themselves swept back to Narnia, called by an ancient horn that was passed from generation to generation to be used in the upmost of emergencies.
As the children wander the land, the youngest child, Lucy swears she sees Aslan looking down upon them, across a great river. The other three children scoff at her and carry on their way, ignoring her pleas to turn and head towards Aslan.
Later that evening, they realize in fact they had continued the wrong way and should have followed Lucy’s advice -- regardless of her seeing Aslan or not.
That night Lucy spots Aslan again and he questions her not following him earlier in the day.
“But no one else would come,” Lucy said. “I couldn’t travel alone.”
Aslan continues to look upon her as her guilt overcomes her. She knows the answer Aslan is looking for.
“I’m sorry,” she continues. “I should have followed you no matter what anyone else does or did. It doesn’t matter if they can see you or not. I could and I didn’t follow you.”
How true is that to life?
How often do we know the right direction and right way to head in life and yet we continue on our same dead-end path, because we’re afraid no one else will follow us.
I remember singing often as a child, “I have decided to follow Jesus... no turning back, no turning back. Though none go with me, still I will follow...”
How bold will you be when no one else goes with you?

No comments: