Saturday, August 20, 2005

Toobing the Lampassas River

Well my sister Kara just left town. She came down for the night and day before heading back to school tomorrow. I gave her a couple tours of UMHB so she'd realize how much better it was once she got back to Ouchita.
We spent about an hour-and-a-half hiking along the Lampassas river this morning. It was a fun hike, and I'm glad we finished it when we did. I was almost blown up by the time we got back.
I wish I could trace our exact route, but the best I could find was satellite imagery of the area.
If you look around the center of the map, you can see the river rushing out of the dam from Stillhouse Hollow Lake. I estimate we travelled down the river (the dark green line) around the bend of the river and about half-way to I-35 (in the lower right hand corner of the image.
It was a great trip. I really had no idea what we'd find - even though I've lived in the area since 2000.
There was the beautiful chalk Falls and a number of improvements the Corps of Engineers had made in the area, including a fun suspension bridge.
I think I've convinced Allman we need to tube or kayak or something down the river, from the dam to I-35.
I think we'll do it Labor Day weekend - so if anyone is interested in joining us - holla.

Here's a better view of the area.
I think we ended up about in the center of this map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever toob the Lampassas? I would be interested to know if you did. If so, add a comment in my blog, I have a posting on toobing in central texas

http://flynndex.blogspot.com/