Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Slave to the Routine



Hope I'm not gonna get some fancy lawyer jumping on me for using this cartoon. But it's funny that it came to me today in e-mail. It goes along with several things I've been thinking about and learning recently.
And this cartoon made me think, am I a slave to the routine - and if so - is that a bad or good thing.
I've told numerous people that I've gotten into a morning routine each day in my new office.
I walk in, turn off the alarm, turn on the lights, open my curtains/blinds, start my coffee, fill my water jug, read my devotional, pray, scan the Killeen paper, check e-mail and voice mail and begin my day.
I've found that a similar routine every day gets me going on the right foot.
And those days I miss my routine, I get flustered later on.
But what if everytime I went to sell a new ad to someone I used the same old routine? "Hi. Wanna buy an ad? Ok great - talk to you later." That's not going to sell anybody. I have to adjust to every situation. I think that's why the CWF is so successful. It's not routine. It's different and it catches your eye. People can get their news anywhere - we have to find a way to set ourselves apart. We can't be part of the same ole' routine.
We've been calling our new focus in the office a regime change.
The old is out, the new is in. Sure there's reminants of the old regime. Things that need to be worked on and fixed - but a new day has dawned and we're moving forward.
On the spirtual side of things, David writes, "He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake."
God doesn't reform, he restores. He doesn't camouflage, He restores. He restores the vigor. He restores the energy. He restores the hope and restores the soul.
And we need that restoration, because nothing on this earth will satisfy us fully. "We brought nothing into the world so we can take nothing out. But, if we have food and clothes, we will be satisfied with that."
We long to see God. And that longing leaves us searching for more, but we won't find it in anything here on earth.
And God is so big, He'll lead us, restore us, and protect us along our entire journey.

No comments: