Monday, August 15, 2005

Carter comes to visit

Regardless of the pay and the long hours I might complain about, it's always fun to work in a position where congressmen stop in just to say hello.
Just spent 20-30 minutes chatting with Rep. John Carter and two staff members. He's doing one of his normal tours of the district to keep in touch with media and local leaders. I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've talked with him on a tour of the district since he took office in Jan 2005.
I have to respect a congressman like that. I was in Belton for a full year while Chet Edwards was in office and he never stopped by our office and I don't know of anytime he stopped in Belton other than the 4th of July parade or a special ceremony at the Bell County Museum. The only time I met him was the day he announced he would not run for re-election in our newly aligned district, but run in Waco instead.
Granted I think he did some great things for this area, but I never once talked to the man, either after all my phone calls or in person.
I think that's smart marketing and working.
As a representative in the U.S. Congress you need to make yourself as available as possible to the media. If you're not, you can't get your name out there and winning re-election is rough.
Well, now that I've met my "celebrity" for the day - back to the salt mines.

1 comment: