Monday, June 06, 2005

Writers block

I'm having a rough time hacking out my column this week. I'm not sure what's up, but I'm experiencing some writers block.
So, I'll post the couple angles I've started with and see if anyone has any ideas. I've been trying to write about my trip this weekend on the Guadalupe - but I keep coming to a stand still. So here it is - dry and boring.

This weekend my buddies and I took off on a real spontaneous American adventure.
Now granted, normally the things we do aren’t real adventures, but for some reason things always happen with our bad luck that make them adventures.
And something as simple as floating down a river in a tube can become an adventure for us.
We started the day off planning to leave between 8 and 8:30 a.m.
We left my house on time and headed to the local grocery store to buy provisions for the trip.
We called our “lost” companion and realized she had not woken up until 8 and was still lying in bed.
Strike 1.
After our trip to the grocer, we loaded up on our daily dose of breakfast burritos to satisfy our hunger through most of the trip.
We then filled our vehicle with gas and called our “lost” companion again. I think she was just getting into the shower – thirty-minutes or so after we called the first time.
Strike 2.
We returned to my house to wait for her arrival.
Around 9:30 a.m. our companion finally arrived.
Foul ball, down the third base line.
As we headed out of Belton we cranked up a homerun of a song – “Real American,” Hulk Hogan’s theme song.
Homerun to left field (hence the previous sentence).
As some of you, lucky enough to travel I-35 this weekend, you may have noticed the Harley Convention was going on in Austin this weekend.
While traveling I-35 can often be hazardous to one’s health, watching one of the state’s main arteries thicken with Harley Davidson’s is nothing but enjoyable to my friends and I.
Single to right field.
With AC/DC and a very odd mix of rock and metal booming over the car stereo the two hour trip to New Braunfels flew by.
Another single to right field.
Runners are now on first and second.

With Memorial Day just past, Flag Day coming next week and the 4th of July just around the corner, I was glad to spend my time Saturday partaking in a Great American Pastime.
Now I’m sure many are thinking baseball or softball on one of Belton’s great fields, but we actually headed south to New Braunfels for our adventure.
With a 2-hour drive south, we joined several thousand others as we braved the chilled waters of the Guadalupe in search of fun, sun and relaxation.
And I’m pretty sure we all found it.
It’s not often that you can find a large diverse group of people, age, race and creed – and everyone is so interested in a common goal that things normally divisive is ignored.
Now, granted it may have been the large amounts of hops and barley people were consuming that made people so care-free, but I was impressed to see everyone enjoying each other’s company and having a great time.
I saw seniors, baby-boomers, twentysomethings, highschoolers, pre-teens, pre-pre-teens and everyone in between helping each other down the river, laughing and having a great time.

No comments: