Saturday, June 18, 2005

I received this email from a friend/reader of my column this week:

J
FYI - Peace Corps Suspends Haiti Operations
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The Peace Corps has suspended operations in Haiti and evacuated its 16 volunteers because of increasing violence, officials said Thursday, even as gunmen wounded two U.N. peacekeepers during a shootout in a slum.
I believe you're destined for bigger and better, so I'm hoping you don't get distracked by Haiti. Besides, a big ole white boy like you makes for too easy a target. If your looking for adventure, consider the army or even the CIA. Or maybe a take over of BellTex!
Hang in there, danZ

I don't know why, but I seriously have no fear in that. Maybe I'm missing something (my mom might be sure to try and change my mind), but I have an absolute peace about going there when called. I'm not going for adventure, I'm going because I want to serve and experience the world outside Belton, or Dallas, or Anywhere, USA.
I want to serve people and show them love. To me, this is a stronger call to go. This is a stronger message to say: These folks need love and help.
Can't wait.

No comments: