Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Indy Ringtones

Rythym at Myspace.com reports about a new service for indy bands to upload ringtones that listeners can then download straight to their cell phone.
So what is this wonderful thing I keep hyping up? Ring tones. That's right, RING TONES, BABY. It is artist-driven downloadable ringtones that is geared towards fans. I just signed Rhythm up and you can already download their songs onto your phone http://www.groupietunes.com/rhythm.aspx or www.rhythmonline.com). For fans, you can download a song today and it will be your next cell phone bill. For Artists it does cost money to get it all set up, but they have given me a referral code 'rhythm' that will give you and
everyone you sign up an an instant $10 discount!! That is huge. So for less than $40 you get your stuff online and start making money today for each download.

I like this idea. I don't know how big it will get - but I like it. Personally I just use my bluetooth adapter, record an mp3 of my favorite songs, edit them and then upload them to my phone using bluetooth (but that doesn't work for technically challenged people.)
What if praise bands get on board?
With many phones now carrying enough memory and having the quality to work as MP3 players, what if sermons could be sent directly to cellphones of people in your congregation?
Using RSS, new Mp3 and podcasting technology I'm sure there's an advertiser somewhere figuring out how to get you to subscribe to the Nike RSS or Pepsi RSS or Polka RSS where they will automatically send you an ad every day with special offers and the like.
How can we as a church jump on and use this?
You can subscribe to services that will send verses to your phone already.
What about a daily devotion from a pastor or and audio commercial for an upcoming prayer service?
This could get very exciting as technology advances and more and more people update their phones, and mp3 players and the like.

No comments: