Tuesday, October 11, 2005

This weeks column: Eyes of a child (take 2)

Chris said the first version was a bit depression... after I re-read it. I agree. I think this is more what I was aiming for. So disregard the first version...

-----
Well the first good cold front has hit and I’m a bit excited about it. I’m always a big fan of fall.
As far as I’m concerned, it can come twice a year if it likes.
Fall reminds me of being a young and not having a care in the world.
Yes, even I was a child once.
Not much shorter, just a lot skinnier.
I remember the piles of leaves in the front yard, the Papa Smurf and Pirate Halloween costumes.
I even vaguely remember a trip to East Texas, where I accidentally pulled the hand off a scarecrow and freaked out.
Along with the cooler fall weather, I was also reminded of childhood again last week.
I went and visited Sydney Joyce Skaggs -- a lovely young lady who has her entire life before her.
She’s amazing for being only two-weeks old.
What’s even more amazing is to think that at some point, I was her size. That almost blows me away.
Her parents, B and Sara Skaggs (and her grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends, and more) are all very proud, as you can imagine.
Right now, Sydney is more than willing to wrap her tiny hands around anyone’s finger.
She’s glad to be held by anyone.
She doesn’t judge them for their clothes or facial hair or the color of their skin. She simply wants to be held and know people love her.
A light bulb or T.V. flickering nearby grabs her attention right away.
A ceiling fan draws her into a trance.
And as she learns the sounds of her mother and father, she’ll learn to find safety and comfort in their voices and in their arms.
She’ll grow up in a Godly home and learn that “Jesus loves her, this we know. For the Bible tells us so.”
She’ll realize that Jesus is the only answer -- to all the questions.
She’ll play on the playground with boys and girls; red and yellow, black and white and know each one is precious in His sight.
She’ll grow in wisdom and in grace.
She’ll experience all there is in life in ways we can only dream of now.
I talked about Sydney and the life she has before her with my friend Aaron, who has two wonderful children of his own, Amelia and Wilson.
Amelia, age 3 1/2, hasn’t seen me in several months, but when I visited her last, she exclaimed loudly, “Mommy - it’s my friend!”
She doesn’t even remember my name, but she knows I’m her friend.
And Wilson, age 2 1/2, is always more than willing to come give me a hug every time I come over.
He gladly trusts me to throw him high in the air, over and over again.
“The great thing about children is you get to see the world through their eyes,” Aaron said. “My kids do things all the time that bring back memories I forgot I had. I’ll never forget the expression on Amelia’s face on her first Christmas when she opened up a present and saw this big bright red teddy bear.
“I knew I had lost the joy in Christmas years ago as a teenager. But when I saw that face, I had it back for the first time since I was a child myself.”
Oh, if only we could all return to that innocence.
But children give us the chance to do that.
They give us a chance to see the world and it’s creator in ways we haven’t yet seen.
They remind us of the joys of being alive.
They remind us about simple faith in family, friends and God.
They remind us to love one another, unconditionally.
Another friend, Deryl, told me Monday night how he was afraid to fly to Yellowstone for a family vacation, shortly after 9/11.
His young 10-year old nephew got on the phone and reminded him, “Deryl. God is going to protect us. We don’t have to worry about anything.”
Such simple faith and yet such a profound lesson.
Sydney, Amelia and Wilson have their entire lives before them.
And as friends of their parents, I’ll do everything in my power to make the world better for them.
And hopefully along the way, I’ll get to see the world through their eyes and remember what it was like to be young again.
“For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, ‘I’m telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you’re not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God’s kingdom. What’s more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it’s the same as receiving me.”- Matthew 18:2-5

No comments: