Friday, October 07, 2005

Finally, a fall morning

Well the first good cold front has hit and I'm a bit excited about it. I'm always a big fan of fall. It can come twice a year if it likes.
I got to see Sydney Joyce Skaggs yesterday. She's right at a week old. It's amazing to think that at some point I was her size. That almost blows me away. Her parents (and grandparents and aunts and uncles) are all very proud as you would imagine.
I wonder when she'll lose her innocence (I hope never). I wonder when she'll join the ranks of sarcasm and synisicm that has overtaken the rest of us. Where is that certain point where suddenly we lose that childish imagination -- where a light bulb doesn't fascinate us or a ceiling fan draw us into a trance?
And once it's gone, can we ever go back? Once the world has beat us down and up, can we go back to that childlike innocense ever again?
Right now Sydney doesn't care who holds her or who's finger she wraps her tiny hands around, but one day she will.
One day she'll learn, "Don't talk to strangers." "Don't associate with the 'wrong' people." And her world of innocense will be gone.
She'll begin to join the rank and file of the rest of us, and then the cycle will continue.
Boy that's depressing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The great thing about children is you get to see the world through their eyes.

My kids do things all the time that bring back memories I forgot I had.

I'll never forget the expression on Amelias face on her first Christmas when she opened up a present and saw this big bright red teddy bear.

I knew I had lost the joy in Christmas years ago as a teenager. But when I saw that face, I had it back for the first time since I was a child myself.