Friday, September 15, 2006

Friedman in DeSoto

Independent canidate for governor Kinky Friedman was in DeSoto today as a keynote speaker for a chamber of commerce event.
During his keynote address at the luncheon, the one-liners remained but Friedman has developed his message on several points since he began his campaign for governor last year.
Referring to a photograph of himself drinking a Guinness beer, “the drink that kept the Irish from taking over the world,” while riding in a St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Dallas, Friedman said he “did drink the Guinness but I did not swallow.”
On his age, Friedman said, “I’m too young for Medicare and too old for women to care.”
On immigration, Friedman asks, “who would Jesus deport?”
On gay marriages, the 61-year old bachelor says he supports the issue, “I want them to be as miserable as the rest of us.”
On school prayer and the 10 commandments, Friedman said students should be allowed to believe in something and he’d “hate to see the 10 commandments after the Legislature gets a hold of them.”
On the Internet, Friedman said “I don’t use the internet -- I think it’s the work of Satan.”
Friedman said politics as usual and his love for Texas brought him into the campaign.
“I’m the only candidate running that has no political experience whatsoever,” Friedman said. “But I love Texas. I don’t like the Republicans, I don’t like the Democrats, I love Texas and I don’t like what’s happening to it.”
Friedman pointed out that Gov. Rick Perry, independent candidate Carole Strayhorn and Democratic candidate Chris Bell have 89 years of politics between them.
“That is exactly what the founding fathers did not want America to become,” Friedman said. “I think its time we have non-politicians as governor. Look at what the current governor has done. He’s decided not to have tolls on new toll roads until December. He’s got 1,500 troops on the border and we’ve just been informed that they’ve got weapons with no ammunition. Not even like Barney Fife with one bullet. Of course as long as the Mexicans don’t know this I guess we’ll be OK. They’re there for show.”

Look for full coverage in Sunday's WDL.

No comments: