Monday, May 23, 2005

Weekend Update

Well, the weekends over and I need a vacation to recover.
It seems like the last few weekends have been whirlwind experiences that keep coming.
I spent last weekend I had plans to visit friends and family in Dallas as well as announcing for the first CWF Comeback show in Rockwall.
I ended up doing all that, as well as attending the visitation and funeral of a friend on Saturday.
This weekend, I began a fun Friday evening with a good friend, as we planned to eat and visit the Planetarium in Killeen.
And naturally, we ran into someone I knew at dinner.
A couple from our church saw us on their way out of the restaurant and I'm sure immediately began to hear wedding bells as they saw my friend and I sitting on the bench, waiting for our table.
I guess that's what everyone assumes when you're single and you're hanging out with someone of the opposite sex.
What really stinks is when you or that other person starts hearing wedding bells, while the other is hearing, "Run Forrest, run!"
But none the less, we enjoyed our evening and I was waiting anxiously to see Laser U2 at the Planetarium.
We arrived a few minutes early and were pleased to see a very small crowd would be joining us. But as the show started, we soon realized, without any sound or music, the lasers lost their attraction.
So, the show was cancelled and we were given rain checks for another show.
I emailed the Planetarium Monday morning to ask if there would be another run of the show -- and maybe its my wonderful persuasive writing skills, or their over abundance of generosity, but the center agreed to run a special show for me and friends.
So, I'll get to wait anxiously for another show at another time.
Saturday I saw Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith with my good friends Aaron and Keri Lehmann.
I don't know if Revenge of the Sith will replace The Empire Strikes Back as my favorite installment or not, but it is my favorite of the three pre-quils.
We finished the day off with dinner at Kobe's Steakhouse in Addison with friends and family, celebrating Kathryn's Crappy Birthday and her brother-in-law's Happy Birthday.
The weekend wrapped up with a whirlwind trip to Mountain Home, Arkansas for a CWF show.
We were a bit bumed before the show began. The crowd was thin, with only 20 people in attendance up until the last 10 or 15 minutes before showtime. Luckily the crowd grew to 72 by showtime -- but preparing for a show with an extra small crowd is never a good feeling - especially if you've just driven eight hours to do so.
As the show began, we had technical difficulties with the mics and music intros (which to me is ALWAYS frustrating) but surprise, surprise, God still chose to use a bunch of guys who love ministry and wrestling, to bring 10 people into His kingdom.
It still amazes me how God can use a wrestling show to bring people into His loving, outstretched arms, but He does.
And an eight hour ride, in a van, full of goofy guys, suddenly becomes worth it all.
Even if we don't make it back to Dallas till 6:30 a.m. on Monday, and I have to be at work (2 hours away) at 10 a.m. -- it's all worth it if just one comes to know Him.
The thrill of doing Kingdom work is amazing.
I don't quite feel at home anywhere else. The CWF proves that God works outside of our boxes all the time.
And the angels rejoice in the salvation of 10 people, who put their trust in the Lord. And we rejoice with them.

3 comments:

The Conquest Of Kimberly said...

I was wondering how far you are from Dyess AFB???

Jonathan Blundell said...

I'm not exactly sure where Dyess is. Is that San Antonio? I'm about 20 minutes east of Ft Hood in Killeen.

Anonymous said...

When is the wedding? And who are you marrying? Can I play my harmonica in your wedding?