Thursday, March 16, 2006

Pilgramage to Metropolitan Tabernacle

Andrew recently took a trip to C H Spurgeon's Metropolitan Tablernacle.
He has pictures of Spurgeon's pulpit and other interesting things in the church.
I was very intrigued by his thoughts on the trip...
After meeting the current pastor, Dr. Peter Masters:
I introduce myself and my baptist heritage, as well as my current interest in the emerging church. "The emerging church", said Dr Masters, "from what I have heard, is so diverse that no one really knows what it is." Thats exactly right, I said. Good to see he was on the right track.
And while the church sermons can be heard on podcasts:
Sermons here are old skool. No visual media. Just Bible reading and preaching. King James prayer language also. Its refreshing to sit there and imagine what it was like in the days of Charlie - not too different, I suppose.
On the church's hymnal:
So has the ministry changed to meet the times at all? And where have those contextual changes taken place?
Probably in the hymnology. Peter Masters has written an excellently worded apology in the preface to their hymn book:
"Our Own Hymn Book has therefore served as a model for the present selection of hymns and their arrangement, but we have employed a degree of editorial intervention which Spurgeon would never have countenanced in his day."
WHAT INTERVENTION?
"We feel that language has changed for more in the 125 years since Spurgeon's hymnbook than during the 150 years which seperated Spurgeon from Watts. We are now confronted with numerous quaint and jarring words or phrases which ought to be edited. Editorial changes have aimed at achieving instant comprehension whenever possible, thus enabling worshippers to honour the apostolic principle - '"I will sing with the understanding also' [Dr Peter Masters, Preface, Psalms and Hymns of Reformed Worship, 2003, Wakeman Trust]
Wow - If i had to explain the contextual approach to ministry for the emerging-missional church to Dr Masters, I would probably start with his own words here.
And of the church organ?
And I thank the kindly and informative ushers and elders (Chris Law) who answered all my questions, including the one that went... "what would Charlie think of the organ?"
Of course, he wouldnt approve. But sometimes you have to step out from nostalgia and into the real world with the timeless Christ.

No comments: