Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Dirtbags win first game of season

The Dirtbags won their first game of the Spring softball season, 11-10 over the Athletics, tonight at the Waxahachie Sports Complex.
The Dirtbags made a great turnaround to win the game in the 6th, after trailing the entire game.
The slow start worried Dirtbag fans as the team (1-0) fell 7 runs behind by the 2nd inning. But with a fired up defense, the team began their comeback, holding the A's to only 3 runs for the remainder of the game.
The Dirtbag hitters also came out swinging in the third and closed the A's lead to only 3 by the 6th inning.
Down by one, with no outs, Jonathan Blundell, who was pulled from his spot in right field after the 2nd inning, knocked a line drive over 2nd baseman, scoring a run and rounding 2nd to third after several errors by the A's.
With the game tied, Blundell waited on third as his right field replacement and roommate, Matt Lehmann stepped up to bat and drove his second single of the night right over the 2nd baseman's head.
On the dropped ball, Blundell scored, giving the Dirtbags their first win of the 2006 season.
--
Ok. It probably wasn't near as glorious as that sounds. But I have to tell you, I wasn't having a good game or much fun until I knocked that line drive into the out field right over 2nd base.
I stopped at first, but after the runner scored and the catcher fumbled with the ball I took off running to 2nd, where another bad catch let me round the base and get to third.
I was completely out of breath when Matt drove the ball right back over the 2nd baseman. I took off running and beat the throw at home by mere seconds.
I was 1 for 3 for the night with one RBI.
Matt was 2 for 3, with two singles and the RBI.
And yes, they pulled me from right field after the second inning, which was fine, because I'm no good there and I hate playing outfield.
But everyone always says, "You may not play that great, but you play with all you've got."
I've got a nice cut on my arm from where I ran full steam into the fence while chasing a ball that just missed going foul.
I'd give you everyone else's stats, but I really didn't pay any attention. If anyone else on the team wants to comment on their stats, feel free.
So there you have it. My big fish story for the week.
I've got to say, it's been a pretty good week so far, "and it's only getting better."

No comments: