Thursday, August 31, 2006

Re: King of the Christocrats

I just spent 15 minutes or so with David Barton. I enjoyed it. I don't think the Texas Monthly did him justice or presented him in a fair light.
While he believes the founding fathers were strong supporters of Christianity (which I don't doubt) I got the impression he doesn't believe in a creating an American theocracy and I assumed he did from the article.
I played devil's advocate a bit and he said that the founding fathers believed religion and Christianity were interchangeable and when they spoke of other religions they mentioned them by name. He also said he supported prayer in schools - but student led. I can support that. If a student is Islamic, they should be able to say an Islamic prayer. If they're Jewish they should be allowed to say a Jewish prayer and if they're Christian they should be able to say a Christian prayer.
He also said that if you shouldn't have to change the rules to win - i.e. censorship.
The truth should always win out if we're doing our job.
"And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." - Muhammad (j/k) Jesus
I want to talk with David more and pick his brain some more. He also owns over 70,000 documents from our founding fathers - I'd love to see those as well.
Anyone interested in a freelance article about him?

No comments: