Sunday, August 20, 2006

Grandma's flip-flops

Capital Annex reports on an article in the Houston Chronicle, listing Independent candidate for Texas Grandma's many flip-flops:

On The Trans Texas Corridor:

• 2000: Strayhorn in a review of the Texas Department of Transportation recommended toll roads: “Building highways through toll financing rather than pay-as-you-go financing dramatically speeds the time it takes to complete a given project.”
• Now: “I am adamantly opposed to this massive toll plan,” Strayhorn said. “Rick Perry calls it Trans-Texas Corridor. I call it Trans-Texas Catastrophe, and as governor, I will blast it off the bureaucratic books.”

On Vouchers:

• Before: Won election as comptroller in 1998 with the help of a $950,000 loan from voucher advocate James Leininger. Strayhorn said she supported vouchers as a means of giving parents a choice when their children were trapped in failing schools.
• January: “When I’ve talked about vouchers; philosophically I wouldn’t have a problem with that for disadvantaged kids. But let me tell you what, that was before we had five years of this administration that is absolutely totally dismantling our public school system day by day.”
• Early February: “I will veto any type of legislation that puts a single dollar into any voucher program, period.”
• Late February: “I’m not saying I would never support them. I’m saying that I would take vouchers off the table for discussion. No more talk until we address the needs of public schools.”

On A Woman’s Right To Choose:

• 1985: “She refused to discuss her position on abortion.” — Austin American-Statesman
“She has been pro-choice on abortion, although she now says she opposes abortion personally and would rule out tax dollars for its practice, except in cases of rape incest or where the mother’s life is threatened.” — Christian Science Monitor
• 1990s: Signed pledges for the Republican National Coalition for Life to oppose abortion and told Greater Austin Right to Life that she supported overturning the Supreme Court decision allowing abortions.
• Now: “I have made my position very clear. As a mama and a grandmama, I believe in the sanctity of life, but I understand that there are those heartbreaking situations where heartbreaking decisions have to be made.”

Is it still unclear to anyone that Carole Keeton Strayhorn has no positions except those which are most politically expediant at the given moment she opens her mouth?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't vote for her given any other opponent...