Monday, November 28, 2005

What a goof

I believe this is the first time I did this, but I miss-attributed a quote to someone at city hall. And it wasn't even a quote from anyone, but a paraphrase/idea that I had hoped to get a quote on and forgot to ask.
I saw it in my notes, wrote it as a statement in the article and then some where during the editorial process, (while cutting and pasting) I slipped and added it in as a quote.
The city representative wasn't very happy. And I don't blame him. I apologized profusely and wrote a correction tomorrow. I hope it doesn't ruin things for future interviews.
Hopefully it will be my first and only mistake here. My second paper at The Journal I misspelled "Construction" on the front page and then months later, during late night cramming I miss-typed "Belton." Both ran with the errors.
It helps keep you in check I guess. What you write will be seen by the public. And the public will let you know when you make mistakes.

No comments: