Friday, November 11, 2005

Moving back home

So I've moved back home for the next few weeks, until Thanksgiving weekend.
I'll be comuting to work each day, so if anyone knows of a Dart rail heading from Mesquite to Waxahachie - holla.
As I moved back into my old room (which is now lavender) and set some pictures on top of my dresser (which I've enjoyed since I was a mere lad at 8751 Milverton in Dallas) I began to think back about the last time I lived here.
August of 2000.
At the time I was 21 and ready to move to UMHB.
My sisters Amy and Kara were in the room nextdoor.
I remember randomly running into their room while they tried to sleep and jumping on top of both of them. Or pulling the covers off of them or any other mean big brother jokes.
But the last night I stayed here I remember I couldn't sleep.
I was so anxious to head to college.
Then in 2003 when I finally finished school, I was so independent I wasn't going to move back home. I wasn't about to bum off my parents I was going to make it on my own.
And last night I thought of all the "what-if's."
What if I had moved back home when I graduated.
I would have been able to spend more time with my family - including Amy.
I might have moved in with Matt at the time.
I might have found a job working in radio in Dallas.
I might have found a job at a daily paper - much sooner than I did.
I might have met a girl who rocked my world and whom I could marry (fat chance :-)).
I'd probably have less debt.
I wouldn't have my dogs, Payton and Precious.
I wouldn't have gotten to know David Tuma at all.
I wouldn't have gotten to know Berneta Peeples at all.
I wouldn't have gotten to know any people in Belton or at the Belton Journal.
I probably wouldn't be as good of friends with Allman - my former landlord.
I probably wouldn't be as involved with CWF.
I probably never would have joined the Lions Club.
I probably would have never learned all I did about newspapers.
I would have been able to see more of Amy while she was sick and in the hospital.
And the list goes on and on...
But "what-if's" never really get you anywhere. So I'm going to stop with them for now.
And look to what's ahead. What's coming.
I may have an imperfect past - but I have a spotless future.
Let's see where I go from here.

No comments: