Tuesday, November 15, 2005

This week's column: Returning home

It’s been five-years, but I’ve finally made my return to the Mega-Plex.
I was born in Dallas, raised in Dallas and graduated in Mesquite.
During college I moved to central Texas and Belton where I swore it would be a long time before I would ever consider returning to the Big-D.
But paths, passions and feelings can change quickly – sometimes overnight.
And now that I’ve moved back, I’ve moved in with my parents for a few weeks until final contracts are signed on my house.
A lot has changed in five years.
As I moved back into my old bedroom, which was painted lavender several years ago, I reflected on yester-year.
My first memory of our house in Mesquite was slightly traumatic.
We moved from 8751 Milverton in Dallas to Mesquite at the end of my freshman year.
Shortly after we moved I decided it was time to put my waterbed back together and began the process of filling the large mattress.
But watching a waterbed fill with water is about as exciting as watching an Austin College or McMurry University football game.
So I left my room and went outside to play football with my sisters.
Naturally football took precedence and it was several hours before I returned inside.
In the span of several hours, the hose filling my waterbed had popped lose from its connection and filled the entire end of the house with 1/2-an-inch of water.
Needless to say, my mom wasn’t too happy – until she found out she would be able to re-carpet the entire house for a small insurance deductible.
Now, more than 10 years later, my mom is ready to re-carpet the house, but unfortunately the waterbed is long gone.
As I look back and reflect, I remember the last time I lived at home with my family.
August 2000.
At the time I was 21 and ready to move to University of Mary Hardin-Baylor.
My sisters Amy and Kara were in the room next door.
I remember randomly running into their room while they tried to sleep and jumping on top of both of them. I also had a “bad habit” of pulling off their covers while they tried to sleep.
But that last night I lived at home I remember I couldn't sleep.
I was so anxious to head to college.
Then in 2003 when I finally finished school, I was so independent I wasn't going to move back home. I wasn't about to “bum off my parents”, I was going to make it on my own.
But last night I started thinking about all the "what-ifs."
What if I had moved back home when I graduated?
I would have been able to spend more time with my family, including my sister Amy who left us at the age of 24 in March.
I might have found a job working in radio in Dallas.
I might have found a job at a daily paper - much sooner than I did.
I'd probably have less debt.
I wouldn't have my dogs, Payton and Precious.
I wouldn't have gotten to know David Tuma at all.
I wouldn't have gotten to know Berneta Peeples at all.
I probably wouldn't be best of friends with Allman -- my former landlord and fellow West Wing nut and wrestling fanatic.
I probably wouldn't be involved with Christian Wrestling Federation.
I probably would have never joined the Lions Club – at least not until I had many more gray hairs.
I probably would have never learned all I did about running a weekly newspaper.
I would have been able to see more of Amy while she was sick and in the hospital.
And the list goes on and on...
Some regrets, some blessings, but "what-ifs" never really get you anywhere.
So I'm going to stop and look to what's ahead instead.
I may have an imperfect past - but I have a spotless future.
So let's see where I go from here.
“But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” – Phil. 3:13b-15

No comments: