Tuesday, September 06, 2005

This weeks column: Reader's Mail

In the past few weeks, Allman and I have been talking about publishing responses to our reader’s e-mail and snail-mail. But he beat me to the punch and published his first Reader’s Mail column a few weeks back. Since he had a great response, I decided I would follow suit.
So here is my own take on Reader’s Mail. Feel free to send your own comments and questions to eveningstar@hot.rr.com.
Jonathan, please come visit us in Mesquite. You haven’t been home in a month. We’ll even take you out for dinner if you come. - Mom and Dad
Hmmm. Gas to drive to Mesquite for a free meal, $50. Eating dinner the next night with friends, $15. The look on my parent’s faces when I show up unnanounced, priceless.

Jonathan, on August 2, you published HHHS QB Donny Shorts on the cover of the 2005 Sports Guide. After a loss to Cedar Park do you think you’ve given the team the “Cover Curse?”

Brandon, I don’t believe in silly superstitions like that. I have a feeling Shorts and the rest of the Knights will show us what they are really made of this week against Killeen. Now I’m going to have to ask you to go outside, spin in a circle four times and spit into the wind for suggesting such a silly thing.

Editor, with the rising cost of gasoline, do you think we’ll soon find another alternative to fuel our automobiles? - Billy Trucker
As a matter of fact, our office has been researching a number of fuel alternatives in our vehicles. We haven’t found anything that runs our vehicles quite as well as gasoline, but here are some cost comparisons to what we’ve tried.
1 gal. regular gas - $2.89
1 gal. lowfat milk - $2.60
1 gal. soda (store brand) - $4.73
1 gal. gatorade (pre-mixed) - $7.96
1 gal. water - $.75
1 gal. vodka - $60.52
1 gal. of Red Bull Energy Drink - $31.84
1 gal. of ethenol - $2.05 (but we won’t go into all the costs of actually producing a gallon of ethenol).
So while they may not be as effecient as gasoline, we think some of these other options could be a viable way to save some money on your daily trips. Others -- not so much.

Jonathan, since you work in Harker Heights and live in Belton, who will you root for during the big Oct. 28 matchup? - David Tuma
David, I hope my job does not depend on this. But I often like rooting for the underdog, so ‘Big Red Nuf Said.’

Jonathan, we’ll even pay for gas if you’ll just come and visit. - Mom and Dad
Free meal and free gas with my parents, priceless. I think I better go to Dallas -- soon.

Well that’s it for this edition of Reader’s Mail. Be sure to send your questions, comments praises and gripes to eveningstar@hot.rr.com.

No comments: