Monday, May 15, 2006

Speaking of Football

Emmitt Smith turns 37 today and almost didnt make it, according to a reporter from Tambabayonline.com:
Emmitt Smith, who turns 37 today, almost never had a chance to become the NFL's leading rusher ... because I nearly killed him one day back in 1988 in Gainesville, Fla.
The following year, I was driving through campus trying to race back to my job at the student newspaper. Classes ended hours earlier and the streets were empty, so I took my eyes off the road to fiddle with the radio. Suddenly, I looked up and noticed the entire Florida Gator football team running across the street from the stadium to the practice field. I slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop. The closest player was inches in front of me. He reached out, puts his hands on the hood of my Mustang and glared at me.
Yup, it was Emmitt.

No comments: