Thursday, February 02, 2006

Shouldering the burden

I received this e-mail yesterday...

READ THE BLACK PATCH UNDER THE US FLAG
This SHOULD be on the front cover of Time, Newsweek, etc.
But it won't.
Let's you and I "put it there" by forwarding this all around the world (so to speak)!


Now I realize this is a political statement, but it's also an altered photograph.
To assume that it's an actual photograph and to send it as one seems like bad reporting to me. But maybe that's just me.
Here's the original photo:

It's from a NATO site.
I sent some info from Snopes.com on the photo and e-mail to the sender of the e-mail forward.
I mentioned that neither magazine would print the photo because it's not an actual photograph. It's been altered.
The sender responded, "The mass media doesn't have the courage to report the truth."
Does publishing a FALSE photo suddenly give you the TRUTH?
Does misrepresting the truth make it true?
If you want to make a statment, fine. Use a politcal cartoon, or advertise the photo as a digitally altered photo and not an actual photo.
Why can't you just print the facts and let the truth be the truth?
Maybe I'm over analyzing this, or over simplified this, I don't know.
What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about all of the other photos that people "alter" and then put in newspapers/mags? You know ... shaving inches off people, airbrushing, etc. That's still misrepresenting the people/products.

Jonathan Blundell said...

NEWSpapers and NEWSmagazines don't do that. And the people that have done that have been fired.
Fashion magazines and rags have done that. I don't think that's ok. But it's also why I don't read them for news.