Monday, February 13, 2006

American Journey

Some of you have been asking for this... so here it is until I can get you a hard copy....

By JONATHAN BLUNDELL Daily Light staff writer
Thursday, February 9, 2006 2:41 PM CST

In the fall of 1943, war raged overseas and Americans were landing at Paestum on the Gulf of Salerno, Italy.
The 36th Infantry Division, with National Guard members from Texas and Oklahoma, marched forward through Salerno capturing the land from Agropoli to Altavilla.
As they rested in Salerno, Staff Sgt. Claren “Curly” Thompson, a division cook, befriended a young Italian, Johnny Camera, who was working and camping nearby.
Johnny had been moving from place to place under the assumption that his family had been killed during recent fighting.
Johnny was camping nearby and working for one dollar a year and food and clothes.
Thompson took 11-year-old Camera in and the soldiers accepted him as one of their own, giving him a uniform with the pant legs and shirt sleeves shortened to fit.
Johnny stayed with the division for 11 months during its campaign across Italy.
During that time, Thompson promised Johnny that if he ever made it to America he’d have a home waiting for him in Texas.
“Over there you look for any opportunity you can find, especially if you get to come to America,” Johnny said. “I was separated from my family after one sister was killed. I assumed they were all dead and the thought of going to America looked like a great idea.”
Johnny was left with the 542nd military police battalion just outside Naples, Italy, while the 36th marched on and prepared to invade France.
The MPs left Johnny at a replacement depot where soldiers were being shipped back home to the U.S.
While at the depot, 1st Lt. Howard L. Benyon, with the 542nd MPs, gave Johnny a letter of introduction praising his help as a morale builder and an interpreter.
From there a soldier volunteered to help Johnny onto a ship headed for New York.
“A soldier told me to head toward the ship,” Johnny said. “When a guard stopped me I was to tell him I was coming to see the soldier and he would wave me on.”
The plan worked and Johnny boarded the Claymont Victory headed for New York.
As a stowaway, soldiers on board fed Johnny during the 13-day voyage to America.
On Feb. 2, 1946, the ship docked at Pier 84, on the North River in New York City.
The soldiers left Johnny on board when they arrived in New York City, giving him ideas on how to get off the ship.
With his specially fitted army uniform and $55 that soldiers on board chipped in, Johnny was ready to head to Texas.
“Once we got to New York I had to figure out how to get off the ship,” Johnny said. “I didn’t realize it, but someone on shore was watching me the entire time and right before I bailed off the ship five or six guards came and grabbed me.”
Johnny explained his story to immigration authorities and was sent to Ellis Island where his case awaited trail.
Newspapers at the time reported that many were amazed with the English and Texas drawl that Johnny had learned from Thompson while in Italy.
As the press learned of Johnny’s story, publicity grew and former GIs from Brooklyn to Texas went to work to get Johnny released.
Letters were sent to Attorney General Tom Clark, a Texan himself, and others demanding Johnny be released to Thompson’s care in Texas.
“The publicity got high,” Johnny said. “I never would have imagined how big a deal it became.”
Letters were sent on Johnny’s behalf to a variety of officials by Congressman Luther Johnson, Texas 6th; Congressman Lyndon B. Johnson, Texas 10th; and Acting Special Assistant to the Commissioner James Butterfield among others.
After repeated requests to release Johnny, the attorney general gave Johnny a 60-day release to visit Texas.
“I didn’t know anything about Texas,” Johnny said. “But I knew they loved to fight and Thompson was one of the main guys. He was 6 foot 2 inches and about 240 pounds. I didn’t see anyone who could whip him and he could fight three at a time, so I decided I wanted to be a Texan like Thompson. The Yankees would always stir something up but the Texans would always win.”
So with a ticket purchased by the New York Daily News, Johnny headed to Dallas Love Field, decked out in cowboy garb donated by members of the 36th ID.
Johnny arrived in Texas on Saturday, Feb. 23, with a hero’s welcome, where he was greeted by Texas dignitaries and celebrities, including Thompson’s mother, A.D. Thompson.
Curly Thompson was at home in Waxahachie recovering from an operation.
Johnny’s first full day in Texas was spent at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Waxahachie with a picnic and football in the afternoon.
Johnny was dressed for the occasion in a double-breasted brown suit, new tan oxfords, a white shirt, canary necktie and a new hat; all had been provided by Waxahachie merchants who opened their stores late Saturday night so he could be fitted.
He was promptly enrolled in school at Marvin Elementary, where he learned new American customs and sports.
“Food was one of the hardest things to get used to,” Johnny said. “The customs were also hard to get used to, especially religious customs. I was Catholic and you carry that with you your entire life, but I ended up at a Baptist Church.”
Johnny said the teachers and staff at Marvin made a huge difference in his life.
“I was blessed to have a principal who cared about the kids,” Johnny said. “She wanted to educate us. I had three or four people who worked hard to teach me, including Ms. Rayfile Steel, who was the best economic teacher I ever had.”
Sports gave Johnny a chance to build friendships at school as fellow students taught him how to play various games.
“I’d seen the soldiers play football, baseball and softball overseas, but the kids at school taught me a lot more,” Johnny said. “I was indoctrinated with baseball. Bobby Jordon made up his mind that he’d show me how to play baseball and I was blessed in making good friends like him.”
As Johnny attended school, officials continued to work legalizing his entry into the United States.
And on June 1, Johnny made his second arrival into the United States at Eagle Pass, Texas.
Johnny and Thompson crossed over the international bridge into Piedras Negras, Mexico and obtained an immigration visa at the American consulate.
Bills introduced by Congressman Luther Johnson allowed Johnny to stay in the U.S. and later become a naturalized citizen.
“I had some pretty influential people backing me up,” Johnny said. “Joe Norton also helped me out a lot. He made a lot of connections in Washington to help me.”
After becoming a naturalized citizen, Johnny was officially adopted by Thompson and he took Thompson’s last name.
Johnny continued going to school in Waxahachie and in high school, at 5 feet 2 inches and barely 125 pounds, Johnny played guard for two years at Waxahachie High School.
“School was always fun, but people were always coming to take pictures,” Johnny said. “I would get pulled out of class all the time so people could get pictures of me.”
Stories and pictures of Johnny attending school and growing up in Waxahachie appeared in Life Magazine and countless newspapers across the country.
Johnny graduated from Waxahachie High School in 1952 and later enlisted in the U.S. Navy with a fellow football player from school.
“We just felt like it was the thing to do,” Johnny said. “I had a chance to be in the Army, but we decided to stay together so we both went into the Navy. I knew what it would be like from the time I spent in Italy and decided it was the right thing to do.”
Both Johnny and Oscie Kirkland left for basic training in San Diego, Calif., in 1955.
After their two years in the Navy, Johnny and Kirkland both returned to Texas to look for work.
Kirkland was hired on with Lofland Company in Dallas and Johnny found work there as well in 1960.
“We’ve been together most of our lives,” Johnny said. “I just kind of hung on his coat tails.”
Johnny worked for Lofland Company for 33 years, including several at the Waxahachie plant.
Johnny married his wife, Mary Ellen from Venus, in 1964 and together they have three children, Rosina, Johnny and Johnna, as well as four grandchildren.
And years after he left his home in Italy, Johnny got word that his mother and two of his sisters were still alive.
“My two sisters ended up in England,” Johnny said. “And I eventually heard from my mother. She read about my story in the papers and was able to track me down. I apparently made the news in Italy too and she came to see us in October 1968.”
“It all turned out good,” Johnny said. “I was one of the lucky ones. I owe a lot to a lot of people. Teachers, friends, I owe a lot to them for helping educate me.”
Johnny said their sacrifices helped him strive to be a better person.
“They wouldn’t have wanted me to live badly and I think that’s encouraged me to do well,” Johnny said. “I was blessed to have people who cared and made me aware of so much.”
Today, Johnny spends much of his time at home with his wife in Waxahachie, and enjoys spending time with his grandchildren every chance he gets.
“I spent some time playing golf after I retired,” Johnny said. “But I got too old and got tired too quick. So now I just fiddle around the house, doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that - just trying to stay busy.”
He never returned to Italy after he took his fateful trip in 1946.
“I don’t miss Italy and I never wanted to go back,” Johnny said. “I was invited by a television station to go back, but I didn’t have any desire to do so.”
“He’s been lucky,” Johnny’s wife said. “It’s an amazing story. And not many people would have the drive or ambition to keep going.”
“I wouldn’t change a thing,” Johnny said.

No comments: