Sunday, June 18, 2006

Wayne Hamilton at Encounter


Political consultant and lobbyist Wayne Hamilton was at Encounter today. Brian's message was in large part an interview with the former party executive (or as some have called - miniature Karl Rove). I thought it was a great addition to the series on Revolution. I didn't take many notes from Wayne. Not sure why not, but I guess I didn't want church to become "work."
Anyways I thought a great point that Brian's been making and Wayne helped emphasize was that the key to being effective in politics (and the world around us) as a Christian is to invest in those around you.
"You have to earn the right to speak to people," Hamilton said. "You can change the world one person at time."
Hamilton didn't mention any political parties or candidates that he's worked for but did mention one man who leads a pro-life organization. I can't recall the name of the group but the man has gone from Congressman to Congressman and worked to implement things like parental notification and parental consent for minors.
There were no protests, rallies or fighting with the Congressmen. Only going office to office, explaining his point of view and working with the elected officials.
Reminds me of Bono's work with Africa.
The leader of the organization is a part of the Catholic church and Hamilton made the point that he wished many of his evangelical brothers and sisters would take note.
Brian also asked Hamilton if there was a Biblical story or passage that summed up a proper Christian's response to politics and government.
Hamilton pointed to the story of Daniel and said that Daniel simply kept serving the Lord no matter what administration was over the country or who's authority he was under. He simply prayed and followed God and waited for God to change the king's heart.
Brian added:
"My kingdom," said Jesus, "doesn't consist of what you see around you. If it did, my followers would fight so that I wouldn't be handed over to the Jews. But I'm not that kind of king, not the world's kind of king." - John 18:36 (MSG)
2 Chron 7:13&14 says, "If I ever shut off the supply of rain from the skies or order the locusts to eat the crops or send a plague on my people, and my people, my God-defined people, respond by humbling themselves, praying, seeking my presence, and turning their backs on their wicked lives, I'll be there ready for you: I'll listen from heaven, forgive their sins, and restore their land to health." (MSG)
Rain is a picture of peace and joy. The peace and joy in Israel had been cut off as it has for America. Everything they (we) have worked for was gone. There's a cancer of selfishness in our society.
But if we want to change our country or change the world, we must start with ourselves. We must change ourselves and stop being concerned with our own needs and problems. We must realize that we are the ones that need to change.
If we sit back and point fingers no change will ever take place.
We must turn from our wicked ways and let Christ live through us.
It's not enough to sit and watch or sit and complain.
When God changes hearts, that's when real change occurs.
Brian ended with the story of the 22 year old girl helping immigrants in Arizona.

No comments: