Thursday, June 08, 2006

Tips on frequent posting

Tall Skinny Kiwi has some advice on frequent posting for bloggers:
Blogging Advice in the Wild Wild Web 2.0
The rules of blogging have changed for our brave new web and Eric Kintz has some good advice.
Why blog frequency does not matter anymore

#1 - Traffic is generated by participating in the community; not daily posting
#2 - Traffic is irrelevant to your blog’s success anyway
#3 - Loyal readers coming back daily to check your posts is so Web 1.0
#4 - Frequent posting is actually starting to have a negative impact on loyalty
#5 - Frequent posting keeps key senior executives and thought leaders out of the blogosphere
#6 - Frequent posting drives poor content quality
#7 - Frequent posting threatens the credibility of the blogosphere
#8 - Frequent posting will push corporate bloggers into the hands of PR agencies
#9 - Frequent posting creates the equivalent of a blogging landfill
#10 - I love my family too much
I've never set a goal for myself, but I do usually try to find at least two things I can blog about weekdays.
On the other hand, my mom and sister have told me they don't read any of my "long entries" and usually just skim my page.
My dad tends to read everything, but usually a week at a time - like his e-mails.
My mom naturally is only concerned about things that directly involve me, rather than anything political or related to music, wrestling or other things. She does seem to enjoy the recipes though.
What about the rest of you? Why do you read my blog? What do you look for?
Do you enjoy personal insight? Politics? The fight for Africa?
What about other blogs you visit? Do you visit more than once a day? Why do you visit them?

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I read your blog mostly for the political and Texas-related news... I like to know what's going on over there without having to do too much searching. :)

I read blogs with www.bloglines.com, so I rarely visit the actual blog website at all. I check bloglines a few times a day, so I usually read updates not long after they're posted. Very convenient.

Jonathan Blundell said...

From e-mail:
You wrote:
Why do you read my blog? What do you look for?
Because I count you as a friend and we have similar interests.
You sometimes come from a subject with a different perspective and I like to be challenged.

Do you enjoy personal insight?
Yes. I enjoy insightful discussion of ideas.

Politics?
Yes.

The fight for Africa?
I guess I haven't been following it that closely. There is a lot happening there. Muslim conquest and persecution of Christian populations are a big concern. So is AIDS.
Darfur is a sticky situation. Sudan has a bloodthirsty regime. The war is muslim against muslim.
Someone who has been there pointed out that Khartum felt they had to do something to engage their solders after they pulled them away from attacking Christians in southern Sudan. If the soliders were idle, it might lead to a regime change.

What about other blogs you visit?
I subscribe to over 200 RSS feeds including blogs and news feeds. They almost always come to me via a web-based RSS feed reader.
As a rule, I read my feeds, not individual blogs. Of course, entries from people I know and like get extra attention.

Do you visit more than once a day?
I sometimes check my feeds more than once a day, but normally only once.

Why do you visit them?
For current awareness of events, trends, and technology in areas of interest to me.
Current favorite topics include:

1. Health and Nutrition:
Nutrition
Fungus as a systemic cause of disease (see http://knowthecause.com )
The role of antibiotics in promoting fungal growth, causing weight gain, destroying good bacteria
Antibiotics given to cows & chickens (to increase weight, production) and how they may be affecting humans
High Acidity Diets (grapefruit, lemons, limes)
Probiotics (acidophilus, yogurt, kefir)
The effect of the love of money on health care
Pharmaceutical Industry Ethics
Vaccines derived from abortion

2. Missions & The Gospel
See http://HellsBestKeptSecret.com
I don't want to be complacent while my neighbors' house burns down.

3. Politics
State, local, federal
Courts
Trends

4. Technology

5. Tools
For Efficiency
For Organization
For Learning
For Communication

6. Education
Home schooling
Ideas
Logistics

Mkellynotes said...

Jonathan,

I enjoy reading your blog because you have a fresh perspective on things and I never really know what news you might discuss.