Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Crunchy Conservatives

Eric pointed out this editorial that ran a while back in the DMN:
Afew summers ago, when I worked for the conservative National Review magazine, I told my boss I needed to leave early to get home to Brooklyn in time to pick up our weekly delivery of organic vegetables from the co-op to which my wife, Julie, and I belonged. "Ewgh, that's so lefty," my editor teased.
She had a point. On the subway home, I reflected on how a taste for organic vegetables is a cultural marker that identifies someone as a "crunchy" liberal – you know, tree-huggers, granola-eaters and the like. In truth, we belonged to the co-op because we found locally grown produce so much more flavorful than the supermarket stuff. And we liked the idea of supporting local family farms with our consumer dollar.
It's an interesting idea. I'm going to add the authors book to my must read list.

No comments: