Monday, July 31, 2006

Horn ready to battle House giant

From Sunday's WDL:
By JONATHAN BLUNDELL Daily Light staff writer

Many might assume that a Baptist preacher running for the state legislature in the buckle of the Bible belt would have a breeze getting into office - but add a “D” after his name in a largely Republican district and put him in a race against the state House Appropriations Chairman Jim Pitts, R-Waxahachie, and the game gets much more interesting.
Enter Kerry Horn - a Democratic Baptist preacher from Covington, Texas, who is running for state representative District 10 against Pitts, who has served as representative for the district since 1993.
Horn, a self-described centrist, has spent time with both the Democratic and Republican parties and worked in Austin and Washington before focusing on his master’s of divinity.
The Nacogdoches native managed Gilbert Martinez’s Austin City Council bid in 1991 and served as assistant director of governmental relations for the Texas Association of School Boards.
He has also served as program officer for the Texas Council on Vocational, executive director of the Texas Vocational Consortium, a legislative assistant to the late state Rep. Paul Hilbert, a field operative for former Secretary of State George Strake’s bid for lieutenant governor in 1982 and served as an assistant sergeant-at-arms of the Texas Senate in 1981.
It may be a novelty to some but for Horn, a Baptist preacher running on the Democratic ticket, is not as big of an issue as some might think.
“Folks are trying to figure me out,” Horn said. “The idea of me being a pastor is an issue to some folks, mainly because of the novelty of it, but I don’t see it as an issue at all. Democrats have been pigeonholed for a while now - the Republicans have as well. But too often it’s the extremes of both parties that get the most notoriety. For a centrist like myself it’s difficult to find a home. But I’ve grown tired of politicians trying to act like theologians and pastors trying to act like political kingmakers.”
Horn received a bachelor’s degree in political science from Stephen F. Austin University and took part in the inaugural class at George W. Truett Theological Seminary at Baylor University, where he received his master’s of divinity.
Horn said that many are surprised by a Baptist Democrat because many Christians have turned against the Democratic Party over one or two red herrings - a minor issue trumped up as being of great importance, which may be used to distract from more important issues that might help the opposing party.
“There are many Democrats against abortion,” Horn said. “It’s become a political red herring. I don’t want to just dismiss it but same sex marriage and abortion are wrong. I just spend my time trying to make sure those situations are not even an option. The state has co-opted marriage and made it a legal institution, rather than the religious institution it is.”
Horn is also concerned that people have turned abortion into a completely black and white issue.
“People have said there’s no room for grey with abortion,” Horn said. “It’s either black or white. But there has to be room for reasonable dialog. It’s easy to demonize the opposition but that eliminates reasonable dialog. As a pastor I have to deal with folks from many different persuasions every single day. I have to keep the dialog going. When the dialog stops then education and conviction become mired in emotion.”
Horn said he personally opposes abortion but as long as it’s the law of the land he wants to make sure it’s safe and rare.
“I’ve counseled women who are pre-abortion and those who have already had an abortion,” Horn said. “It’s a lot easier looking from the outside-in to paint the issue black and white but when you’re caught in the middle of a situation there’s a lot more issues and decisions you have dealt with.”
Horn is also firmly against late-term abortions.
“Late-term abortions should never be a part of the equation and abortion for gender purposes should never be a part of the equation,” Horn said. “The earlier terms in the pregnancy is the only time I could ever agree with abortion, but I want to work hard to make sure that’s never a question.”
To decrease the need for abortion, Horn said he’s a strong believer and supporter in adoption.
“I’m a big believer in adoption,” Horn said. “We need to make adoption a more viable and smoother process. There are too many children having children and in the end the state ends up paying for that in the long run.”
While there are those in the Democratic Party that believe women should be given a blanket protection for abortion at any and all times during a pregnancy, Horn believes they’re a small minority. He believes most Democrats prefer limited and rare cases of abortion.
“As a centrist I think there’s a lot of wrestling and spiritual wrestling going on,” Horn said. “Each situation is unique and we can’t paint everything with a broad paint brush. These are all broad philosophical issues that we’re dealing with nationwide.”
As a pastor, Horn said he has also been given a passionate heart for helping the have-nots.
“I have a heart to represent the least of these,” Horn said. “There are always those that represent the haves but not as many representing the have-nots. I don’t want to offer a hand out - I want to offer a leg up. We have a moral mandate to look after those in need. There are those living on a fixed income, disabled or born into an environment of difficulty. We need to break the cycle of low economic expectations.”
The state’s budget is also the state’s moral document in Horn’s mind.
“A budget is a moral document and reflects to the world who we are and what we value,” Horn said. “Texans’ core values are community and helping people help themselves and get a leg up. We should be conservative with our money but not conservative when it would help people the most. I’m proud to be a Texan but we can do better. I know it’s clich/ now, but I want to be a uniter.”
Locally, Horn sees two issues as key to the future of Ellis and Hill counties.
“The TTC (Trans-Texas Corridor) is a critical issue,” Horn said. “I think that the premise of the corridor is sound. We have to find better ways to move goods and services and people. But the TTC is so secretive. It has the potential of completely interrupting economic and personal life because of the vastness of the project. The lack of information on the project has made it a very emotional issue.”
Horn is concerned that, across the state, Ellis and Hill counties will be impacted the most by the 1,200 foot-wide corridor, carrying high speed trucks, personal vehicles, rail and utility lines.
“I’m opposed to the whole process because there has not been enough input from the public,” Horn said. “And the contracts between the builders and the state have still not been revealed. I don’t think the legislature realized the vastness of this project when they approved it. If it’s important enough for Texas than Texans should build it. I’m ashamed that Gov. Rick Perry has been very dismissive and arrogant in dealing with the public on this project.”
Along with the TTC, Horn is very concerned about the state of education across the state of Texas.
“The special sessions the legislature held was nothing more than a Band-Aid fix,” Horn said. “The heavy lifting will happen in the future. They simply passed the buck. They had five sessions to deal with education but then they pass something that they acknowledge is flawed and will need to be addressed again later. After five sessions they should be able to create a less flawed system.”
Horn, the husband and son of teachers, said he’s been stressed by the antagonist stance the legislature has taken toward education.
“They’re trying to micro-manage local districts,” Horn said. “The bottom line is they’re taking away local control. It’s created a system of passing the buck. The legislature says something so the state board makes rules and the local districts have to find ways to follow the rules. I think there has been an intentional weakening of the public school system by micro-managing. I personally think the funding issues are just the tip of the iceberg.”
Horn admits he doesn’t have the answers to solve the education problems but believes each revenue stream for the state must be evaluated.
“We have to evaluate all our revenue streams,” Horn said. “There are more things than just property taxes that are hurting people. There are constant increases in fees and it’s costing us more to be born and to die. Where is the money going? The franchise fee could be a good step, but it’s just a step. I don’t have an answer but the legislature has had a fear of looking outside the box. I think there’s potential for many creative ideas out there.”
Horn is also concerned about the divisiveness he sees between the state and local districts.
“There’s a system put in place that pits people against each other,” Horn said. “Teachers are at odds against administrators. Administrators are at odds against the school boards. School boards are at odds against the TEA (Texas Education Agency) and the TEA is at odds against the legislature. We’ve got to stop all of that. The respect given our educators by the legislature is atrocious. The vast majority are teaching because of the kids not because they’re making lots of money. Our attitude has to change so that we’re all pulling on the same end of the rope and not against each other. We have one shot to educate our kids. The next chance we get is the judicial system.”
Horn pointed to several states that determine their future prison needs by testing the reading level of elementary students.
According to Education Week, the governor of Indiana has stated that determining the number of new prisons to build is based in part on the number of second-graders not reading at second-grade level. The magazine also reports that the percentage of children who never make it past the fourth-grade reading level is used to help gauge future prison needs in California.
Horn is also afraid the TAKS test doesn’t help anyone but the test-making industry.
“If the test is given as a gauge or as a pre-test and post-test to learn where deficiencies are, then proper tools can be put in place and used to help the students,” Horn said. “If that’s the purpose of the test, then the end product is nothing but good.”
Horn is also concerned about the state’s desire to award teachers with merit pay.
“Merit pay isn’t going to help,” Horn said. “It’s going to be divisive. I don’t know how you can calculate merit pay based around the TAKS test when not every grade gives the TAKS test. Teachers work as a team and when you start throwing in a bonus it can destroy the team atmosphere. Education is not a business. There are too many factors involved. Every school, class and student is different. Each teacher is going to face different factors. The quality teachers create specific education for specific students. That’s what teaching is all about - not teaching to a test.”
To find solutions, Horn believes politicians must start by being honest with the voters.
“If politicians would tell the truth and trust people to make reasonable choices we’d be a lot closer to finding a solution,” Horn said. “We’ve been selling people short. I trust the will of the people. The real test of leadership is how you tell the truth to power. We have delegated power to our elected officials but there’s someone more important than that because ultimate power is with the people. They might not like the truth - but they’ll respect you for giving it to them.”
According to Horn a lack of honesty and transparency from politicians has turned many away from politics.
“People say, ‘What difference do I make?’ ” Horn said. “The legislatures take a position in Austin when they talk with each other and the lobbyists. Then they come back home and realize the folks back home don’t buy it. This causes them to change their opinion again. If you’re in touch with your district you shouldn’t have to change your position. If you have to make a decision against the grain, come back and give all the information behind your decision. The accountability then takes place at election time.”
As a traditional conservative Democrat running in a predominantly Republican district, Horn’s not concerned about the differences in party lines.
“Party lines are party lines,” Horn said. “I think we’re in a situation where we’re in need of statesmen who will look past party lines. There are too many decisions that are narrow and special interest focused. Decisions are made without looking at how it affects the rest of the government or the state. When the state reduced CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) funding it was very narrow-minded. Unhealthy children cost the state more in the long run. It also reduces the parents’ work time when their children are sick. I’d be very bipartisan in my approach. I don’t have all the answers, nor does my party. But bipartisanship is looking at a big picture point of view and asking the right questions.
“In many ways I’m more conservative than most Republicans; I believe in less government, more local control and fair and equitable taxes. But it’s going to take a positive attitude in Austin that we don’t have right now to get things done. I sense pessimism now in Austin. When I worked there we felt we could do anything to bring positive things to all of Texas,” he said.
Like his beliefs, Horn’s political heroes also cross party lines.
“I appreciated former Gov. Bob Bullock,” Horn said. “He was an old fashioned politician who knew how to work the nuts and bolts of government. Rep. Chet Edwards, D-Waco, has been a model of moderation. I’ve watched him serve and he’s very low key but works very hard.”
Horn has also learned to appreciate those who work in the trenches.
“One of the most valuable things I learned during my first time working in Austin was to get to know the people that run the copiers, set up the rooms and turn on the microphones,” Horn said. “I learned that those people will move heaven and earth to help you if you learn to value and respect them. The folks that do the mechanical things of the legislature - I admire them greatly.”
Horn also admires presidents Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton for their ability to communicate with the public.
“Reagan could communicate on a level that people trusted,” Horn said. “The empathy he could put into the way he communicated showed authentic emotion. Clinton also knew how to communicate difficult things very well. Love him or hate him, he had an ability to communicate difficult things in ways people could understand them.
“I hope to respect those doing the grunt work; learn to work hard even if it’s behind the scenes; develop a knowledge and experience like Bob Bullock, who saw things through many lenses; and learn to communicate like Reagan and Clinton,” he said.
Horn believes the qualities of quality politicians are similar to that of a pastor.
“In many ways, my goals as a politician are similar to those I’ve had as a pastor,” Horn said. “It’s hard for me to not be in touch with people’s hurts and pains as a pastor and I value that part of my calling and I embrace it. It would be a lot easier as a pastor or politician if I were making all the decisions - but I’m not. Yes, I have my ideals and methodology but if I listen only to placate people I’m not being authentic. My sense is that there’s a need for restoration of trust, respect and transparency. People need to know they’ve been told the truth. You can always work with someone telling you the truth. And truth is hard won, but easily lost. You may not agree with how I feel, but you’ll always know how I feel.”
Horn entered the race for state representative because he felt the current issues before the state lent themselves to his background and past.
“My wife got tired of hearing me complain and told me to get up and do something about it,” Horn said. “We’ve been working at our church to improve the lives of those around us and make an impact on them. I think I have the experience to take what I know to the state level and work toward a better Texas.
“Texas is at a tipping point. I think we’ve spent a lot of time creating an ‘us versus them’ mentality rather than looking out for things like education, transportation, parks and more. I’m concerned about the direction our state is heading and how it impacts our children and our grandchildren. I believe in Texas, but I believe in Texans even more.”
Horn lives in Covington with his wife, Laura, and their daughter, a junior at Rio Vista High School, and son, a freshman at Rio Vista Middle School.
“I want to give the voters an option,” Horn said. “Decisions are now being made between good and worse. I think serving is something honorable people do. People should not be skeptical of politicians. I want to restore trust in the state Legislature.”

2 comments:

Rick Reynolds said...

That is a great article J, very well written and great detail. I do not know that I am buying it all but I am definitely more interested. I also do not understand how you can be totally opposed to abortion in the late term but be open to it in the early term. I have been involved in many situations that involve personal counseling situations in which I told the truth to the individual, no matter the circumstances you could not punish the child for the violation against you. I do believe it is a black and white issue because I believe it is God's creation and my Bible says it is not up to me to choose life for another it is up to him. I will say that I do like many of the things Mr. Horn had to say. You are not going to agree with someone 100%; you need to have someone who is a statesman, a true representative, a man or woman of integrity.

Jonathan Blundell said...

Thanks for the comment. I agree, you won't agree with everyone and you have to decide what those red herrings for you are.
Laurie and I talked about abortion a few nights ago and I told her, I'm firmly against abortion. I don't agree with it ever. But if it were a matter of life or death for my wife or our child, I don't know how I would handle that. I don't know that I could be angry with my wife if she chose to abort in that situation. Granted that's a rare case, but should abortion be legal in cases when you have to chose one life over the other? I know it wasn't in the past and mothers died a lot more frequently during child birth. That's one of the issues I still wrestle with.
I feel that unlike other politicians Horn is willing to discuss the issues and wrestles with them in his own life and faith.