Wednesday, December 21, 2005

This Week's Column: Reader's Mail

Reader’s Mail

Over the last few weeks I’ve looked at a number of Christmas traditions and I hope they have been very educational. I’ve also received a number of e-mail responses, so I thought I’d respond to them in this week’s column. If this keeps up I may just change the name of my column to “Answer Man.” But with out further ado, I give you Reader’s Mail, Vol. I, Issue 2.

- I enjoyed your piece on “Getting Cross at Christmas.” I thought it was interesting to find out where X-Mas really came from. But to combat the constant war on Christmas that liberals in this country have begun, I’ve start writing Merry C-Mas on my greeting cards and letters. I think it will make people think more about the real meaning of Christmas.
Josh
Morgan’s Point Resort
Josh, thanks for your comments, but I must say, I’m offended that you’ve started a new campaign to keep “hrist” out of Christmas now.

- I really enjoyed your column on O Holy Night. What are the rest of the stanzas? I never knew there were others besides the first two.
Debbie
Waxahachie
Debbie, for lack of space, I won’t print the entire text of John Sullivan Dwight’ translation of O Holy Night here, but you can find the entire song at http://www.eadshome.com/ChristmasCarols/OHolyNight.htm.

- What is Boxing Day and why are Canadians the only ones to celebrate it?
John
Belton
I asked around and being that this is America, no one knows. The holiday is not only celebrated in Canada, but in European countries as well. It is often called St. Stephen’s Day or the Second Day of Christmas. The common story of its origin is that servants and tradesmen received Christmas gifts from employers on the first Monday following the Christmas holiday. These gifts were commonly called, “Christmas boxes.” And you’re more than welcome to come over Dec. 26 and celebrate Boxing Day with me and my roommate as we watch wrestling.

- Was Jesus really born on Dec. 25?
Eric
Alvarado
Maybe -- but probably not. Historians don’t really know when Jesus Christ was. Scripture tells us in Luke 2 that it was during the Roman rule of Caesar Augustus and Quirinius was governor of Syria. All citizens were to report to their hometown for a census, which is why Joseph and Mary traveled to Bethlehem that blessed night. The first mention of celebrating Dec. 25 as the birth of Jesus is found in Latin, written by Theophilus of Antioch (171 – 183). As early as AD 354, Roman Christians celebrated Jesus’ birth on Dec. 25. It is suggested that the date was chosen to take advantage of the Roman holiday celebrating the birth of the Sun god, Mithras. An interesting side note -- many scholars believe that Jesus was not in fact born in AD 1, but likely in 6 BC. A mistake was made during the estimation of King Herod’s death and the new calendar (Before Christ and Anno Domini, meaning “in the year of the Lord”) was off by several years.

- Where can I find some good last minute Christmas gifts for under $10?
Chris
Richardson
Chris, I’d love to say I know, but I don’t. I’d have to point you to Mandy Bourgeois’ column for more information. She is the queen of shopping information.

- Where did Santa’s 12 reindeer come from?
Amelia
Cedar Hill
Why the North Pole of course! But the reindeer are first found in literature in Clement Clarke Moore’s poem, “The Night Before Christmas” (also known as “A Visit From St. Nicholas”). The poem was first published in the Troy, New York Sentinel in 1823, which makes for some old reindeer. Reindeer number 13 and Donner’s son, Rudolph, didn’t join the gang until 1939 when Montgomery Wards gave away a promotional story book, written by Robert L. May about the red-nosed reindeer.

Well that about wraps it up for this week. Keep sending your questions and comments, maybe you’re will show up in Reader’s Mail Vol. II. Merry Christmas.

No comments: